Here’s an amazing deal that expires this Sunday April 13, 2014. This is one of the best deals you’ll see to buy airline miles, and the best way to get miles besides signing up for credit cards. I will be taking advantage of this deal. See below for more details.
Summary: US Airways is running a promotion where you get a 100% mileage bonus when you share USAirways miles. Through April 13, 2014 when you share up to 50,000 USAirways miles to anyone, USAirways will double the transfer. The cost to share 50,000 miles is $567.50. So if you transfer 50,000 miles to a second account, that account will receive 100,000 miles instantly and you will have effectively purchased 50,000 miles at a cost of $567.50 or 1.135 cents per mile.
Here are some things to consider.
- These US Airways miles can be redeemed on any of their parter airlines, so you’re not just stuck flying US Airways. The posts below detail which airlines.
- There is some risk involved because you will be paying money upfront for potential flights in the future and it can be hard to find award seats on the specific flights you want. The key is to be flexible.
- The other primary risk is that the award chart may be devalued in the future, meaning the number of miles needed for a specific flight may go up. It is best to redeem the miles as soon as possible, though my guess is that for the next year or so we should be fine.
- This makes most sense if you want to redeem the miles for first class or business class since in many cases you could pay the same price that you would for economy and get first or business class instead.
- Some examples of why this can be a great deal:
- $567.50 for a first class round-trip ticket from LA or San Francisco to New York.
- $1,362 for a first class round-trip ticket to Asia. Plus you can even stopover in Europe or even Israel on the way to Asia for free for as long as you want, or you can even stopover in multiple cities as long as you are in the additional stopover cities for less than 24 hours.
- $1,248.50 for a business class round-trip ticket to Australia or New Zealand.
This has been covered extensively elsewhere, so read these posts for more details:
- Get A 100% Mileage Bonus When You Share USAirways Miles
- Top 10 Reasons To Buy US Airways Miles with the 100% Share Bonus
- “Buy” US Airways Miles for 1.1 Cents Each
- 5 Days Only: US Airways 100% Bonus on Shared Miles!
- US Airways 100% Share Promotion Returns!
Feel free to ask me questions in the comments as well. Let me know if you need someone to transfer with.